Monday, July 18, 2011

The 13th Tale By: Diane Setterfield

no. 1
Summary:
Dad’s off from his bookshop. When I come home late, went to the bookshop for something. A letter for me. Through reading the letter, I became enthralled to Vida Winter. Knowing her through epithets, I start to make impressions from her. As I have seen her from a photograph, I’ve known the mystery behind her, “Why would she want to tell the truth from me?”.
I, Margaret Lea, who had lived in an environment filled with books, gave me the destiny of becoming a famous biographer. In that case, Vida Winter forced me to be her biographer. But as I’ve known the truth that I have a dead twin, I decided to wrote a letter of refusal to Vida Winter’s invitation. From the letter of invitation by Vida Winter, I can’t sleep from the words keep uttering through my head – Tell me the truth – so I ran downstairs to find a book that could replaced those words by reading through it. From my rummaging to the shop, I’ve found the Thirteen Tales of Change and Desperation by Vida Winter. The next morning, my father groaned from the disappearance of one of his Vida Winter’s books. To stopped him from groaning, I’ve said that I borrowed it. Through his indulgence to Vida Winter, my mind have forced me to take the invitation of Vida Winter and so I did.
The next day, I left our house via a train. As I came closer to the house of Vida Winter, I felt a cold and queer feeling about her house. Though her house was the same as the person that had lived in there. Silent. Alone. Cold. Though my impressions suited to it, I felt a warm hospitability by Judith, her housekeeper. Vida Winter invited me to her library, until in my memory it was forgotten as I read through the books in her library. She surprised me through the back-of-the-neck experience and we started the interview with the magic three rule. I asked her of her name, place of birth and the life before she changes her real name. She started it with her lost twin, Emmeline, in what she called the five at Angelfield. And the scar that unfolds her prfect mystery.
The following day, I went again to her library for the continuation of her story. She started making conditions and with her birth by Mathilde where her mother died. When her mother died, George don’t want for longer life until he was fainted by Isabelle. When George made life with Isabelle, Charlie’s life went gone. Through that condition, Charlie hated Isabelle that he maim her thoroughly. So Isabelle went off from her house and Charlie’s solitude grew longer as the months go by. Until they meet again with Isabelle’s babies from Ronald.
The next day, I woke early gazing and puzzled by the confusing maze and had met Maurice. Miss Winter continued the story by introducing Missus (Mrs. Dunne) by her hardworking for Emmeline, Adeline, Charlie and Isabelle to let them change from poor habits to a healthy lifestyle and the other person is John-the-Dig, the great head gardener maintaining the topiary garden to be clean and beautiful. Until he lost his hope when the little girls distract his great industrious topiary garden. The fourth day of my stay, she started her story of merrily and perambulator. The story preludes of Mary and Fred Jameson having a baby that besofted Emmeline and Adeline to pilfer it. They’ve done it by their surreptitious manner; they’ve also pilfered it’s perambulator.
At my last day, Miss Winter told me about Dr. and Mrs. Maudsley, how they will change the house of Angelfield as with the behavior of the little girls. As they were doing these tasks, ghosts appeared that let them to be frayed on what they’re doing. After she tells me the story, I left her with her wolf and come back on Thursday. Before I left, she tell me, she has a resemblance with Dicken’s photograph from the way they lived. She even has the sincerity of asking if I will come back again though she already knew I will come back because her story has not yet finished.
As I went home, I continued my researches through the almanacs by finding lives of Angelfield family. After prolonged researching, I found out according to law, Charlie had been dead. For more information, I traveled to the offices of Banbury Herald to knew what happened to the fire at Angelfield. But I was shocked as I found none of these, even the interview of a man in brown suit to Vida Winter. From Banbury I moved to Angelfield to find artifacts that can be help in my study. But as I entered it, almost of the house was ruined, not even ghosts would like to stay here. Few minutes later, I craved onto the library and there I saw a giant named Aurelius Love. We’ve spent the afternoon introducing ourselves to each other, he soon be of big help to my study as he know the Angelfield girls. It’s coming late so I’d have to go with the treasure of meeting him. After I went home, I walked to the churchyard where there are graves each with the Angelfield family’s names. At last, searching for Charlie, I found him there. After finding him I went home, packed my things for I was going to meet again Miss Vida Winter.
On the second time, Emmeline and Adeline’s bad behavior had turned into good while the grubbiness of their house turned to be pristine by the arrival of Hester, a governess. Everything, everybody become different. At last, tranquility triumphed. I found out Hester’s mystery on th box of lives I kept for my biographical projects. And the mission to do is to find her as I was enthralled from dreaming of her. She continued her mission to see the development, that was Emmeline and Missus. She and Dr. Maudsley are still working on the regime they’re going to have to make Adeline be good.
Alright, I can’t go to sleep because of the 5 notes that kept on bothering me (La la la la la). I awake and followed the tracks of those notes that came to a suspicion that she is Emmeline. And I realized I come to a wrong judgment, It was only a cat named Shadow.
The next day, Hester and Dr. Maudsley find a regime how to change the little girls by the result of the examination that was undertaken. The regime is the painful separation. It’s hard for the little girls to do it cause they are twins, their minds are connected to each other. Hester, after accomplishing her duties, gone off through the roads and have seen Adeline and Emmeline playing together, though it was impossible. But when he went to Mr. Maudsley’s house, there was Adeline in tranquility. The separation was over when Mrs. Maudsley had known of Hester’s secret love affair to her husband and Hester was gone after that event.
The next day, when Judith came, she had given me a letter saying that Emmeline was survived the fire and was not really dead according to the attorney I had consulted a while ago. Then, back to Winter’s story, so Hester was gone and the house and th little girls have changed from good to bad. Now, Missus and John was already confused from what she’d done. It made Charlie’s room to be dirty and silent for he is also gone. Missus also received a letter that Isabelle had already gone from the asylum. Everything in the house was being enthralled by Charlie’s disappearance.
Because of Winter’s illness, I need to have a holiday for it would be her resting days. So I planned to visit Aurelius and had shocked me with his revealing statement about her mother, her birthday and the fire. He also share a story about Mrs. Love, her young man, her kitting and her socks. He also taught of the recipes in the book that Mrs. Love gave to him.
When I came back to Miss Winter, she is still ill, but it doesn’t bother her. Thus, she told me of the game of Jane Eyre and the furnace. We’ve also examined the photographs from the Angelfield and we’ve noticed a ghost, a boy with a yellow hat.
I stood awake during the day, to find adventure, I followed the cat to the garden and was shocked when I’ve seen Emmeline there.
Wandering through the past, when I was little I’ve learned the phonetic alphabet. Within it, the discovery of my sister to my father.
For 6 months, things went on until John-the-Dig was put into test. Digence had died after he didn’t have the safety catch. We are the ones who are responsible for his funeral so Mr. Lomax rescued us to take all of it. Thanks lot to him, now we’re stressed free.
The following day, I have seen Miss Winter suffering from her wolf so I soothed her with my soothing words that my father used to console me. I’m still puzzled how did John-the-Dig died, was it Adeline?, was to her tears of guilt?, of remorse? I’ll take a bath before I go to sleep to erase my puzzles. ‘Til I have been puzzled by this statement (The dead go underground) as it was released from now here.
The next day, she offered me to cut her hair being ready to be oblivioned. While I was cutting her hair. The following day it was my birthday and it greeted to me coldly not only literally but figuratively. Aurelius visits me to greet me and I’ve told him about his mother and that was Emmeline living with Adeline, known as Miss Winter. At last, Emmeline and her son Aurelius did see each other blood in blood.
At the end of the day, my birthday, I felt so sick so Dr. Clifton came to the rescue. And this was the relief from my brain, A Cas Book of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I followed Dr. Clifton’s prescriptions and as the days pass by, I did got well. Miss Winter, in turn, make her apology for not telling me that Emmeline is here, and this is the reason why Margaret got ill. After that apology, too many revelations I have said to her that alarmed her so much.
With Emmeline’s prolonged dying, Vida forced me to leave, have a vacation because Emmeline’s sickness might got severed. Before I left, she handed me this Emmeline’s book (The Hester’s Diary).
Along the travelling hours, I went on reading the diary. The diary is all about Hester’s observations on the Angelfield’s house and its inhabitants. Through reading I’ve changed my mind from going home, then to Angelfield. I went there not knowing that it had been demolished and had seen bones of a buried body. At first, I thought it was Hester because I’m longing to search her. There I’ve discovered Ambrose’s other family, with Karen and her two kids.
I left Angelfield and went back to Winter for they might need my help. In the train I continued reading Hester’s diary, it is all about the ghost twin up to the ending of her story, she will not write anymore. When I’ve got in there, I was not scrupulously in time, Emmeline was already dead. Then Miss Winter told me about her revelations in the story. The fire. The baby.
She told me that Emmeline is pregnant with Ambrose. She did everything to hide Emmeline’s pregnancy. It did worked and at the 7th of January, a boy was released.
Adeline intended to hurt the baby by burning him to the furnace. In that case, Emmeline and the baby get rid of Adeline and went to church. To get her revenge to Adeline, she burned the Angelfield’s house. But on the other hand, Emmeline was burned completely by her intended revenge. Adeline, on the other case, put the baby in Mrs. Love’s arms, safe and sound.
After she ended her own story, she gasped for breath and had died. After the sorrowful grief, we all start another day reminiscing what she had done. Upon knowing this, Aurelius also grieved of having no family. But I came to the rescue and I make him realize that he has his family with Ambrose’s second family and they lived happily ever after.
All was ended. Aurelius now had a family. Dr. Maudsley and Hester found love and had four children but they had died. But to me it was just the beginning of my life and for Moira who’s been living in my scar.

VOCABULARY:
  1. Paean – a joyous song/ hymn of praise, thanksgiving
  2. Laundress – woman who is a laundry worker
  3. Foolscap – cap or hood with bells worn by jesters (lazy students)
  4. Etched – to produce on a hard material by eating into the material’s surface
  5. Queer – strange
  6. Fringe – an ornamental border consisting of short straight or twisted threads or strips
  7. Sheaf – a quantity of the stalks and ears of a cereal grass or sometimes other plant
  8. Laborious – devoted to labor
  9. Vellum – fine-grained unsplit lambskin, kidskin or calfskin prepared especially for binding books.
  10. Curt – marked by rude or peremptory shortness
  11. Chap – child
  12. Gripe – complaint
  13. Succor – aid or help
  14. Soothing – comforting
  15. Thrive – to gain in weight or possessions
  16. Frail – weak
  17. Cowers – shelters
  18. Hacks – working for hire especially with mediocre professional standards
  19. Startle – to frighten or surprise suddenly
  20. Bait – to persecute or exasperate with unjust, malicious or persistent attacks. To tease
  21. Dazzling – to lose clear vision especially from looking at bright light
  22. Rite of passage – ritual associated with the crisis or a change of status for an individual
  23. Mere – pure, having no admixture
  24. Stillborn – abortive
  25. Clutching – the claws or a hand in the act of grasping or seizing firmly
  26. Devise – invent
  27. Probing – to search into and explore with great thoroughness: subject to a penetrating investigation
  28. Impoverished – represented by few species or individuals
  29. Frayed – to frighten
  30. Drooping – to sink gradually; to become depressed or weakened
  31. Verve – talent
  32. Fidgeted – to move or act restlessly or nervously
  33. Gnaws – to bite or chew on with the teeth especially to wear away by persistent biting or nibbling
  34. Dormancy – quality or state of being inactive
  35. Meek – enduring injury with patience and without resentment: mild
  36. Biddable – easily taught or led
  37. Innards – internal organs of human being; animal; structure; mechanism
  38. Deftly – characterized by facility and skill
  39. Enthralled – spellbound
  40. Epithets – a characterizing word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of the name or a person or thing
  41.  Detritus – loose material that results from disintegration: debris
  42. Oblivious – being forgotten or unknown
  43. Stunted – to performed or undertaken chiefly to gain attention or publicity
  44. Grandeur – the quality or state of being grand: magnificence
  45. Impeccable – not capable of being sinned or liable to sin
  46. Blunt-tooled – to make less sharp or definite
  47. Endeavor – to work with set purpose
  48. Alabaster – a compact fine textured usually white and translucent gypsum often carved into vases and ornaments
  49. Extravagant – exceeding the limits of reason or necessity
  50. Sleight – deceitful craftiness: stratagem, dexterity, skill
  51. Inexpression – lacking the expression
  52. Perspective – point of view
  53. Scant – hardly, scarcely, slight; having a small or insufficient supply
  54. Migratory – characterized by passing usually periodically from one region or climate to another
  55. Tranquility – peace
  56. Detour – a deviation from a direct course or the usual procedure especially a roundabout way temporarily replacing a part of a route: bypass
  57. Amiable – capability of having many friends
  58. Auction – sale or property to the highest bidder
  59. Vaguely – not clearly expressed; stated in indefinite terms; slight, vacant, hazy
  60. Prelude – introduction
  61. Indulgence – act of yielding the desire of; humor, gratify, poll
  62. Repository – a place or room or container where something is deposited or stored
  63. Forbade – to hinder or prevent as if by an effectual command
  64. Graze – to eat small amounts of food several times
  65. Gory – bloody
  66. Arduous – difficult
  67. Treacherous – marked by dangers, hazards or perils
  68. Spinsters – an unmarried woman of gentle family
  69. Crinolines – an open weave fabric of horsehair or cotton that is usually stiffened and used especially for interlinings and millinery
  70. Decorum – propriety and good taste in conduct or appearance: orderliness
  71. Eradicate – to pull up by the roots; exterminate
  72. Seams – to join two pieces by sewing: entirely, completely
  73. Grime – dirt
  74. Recoiled – to shrink back physically and emotionally; degenerate, rebound
  75. Snagged – to catch and usually damage by cutting roughly or jaggedly
  76. Malevolence – quality or state of being of having, showing or arising from intense often vicious ill will, spite or hatred
  77. Retrospect – past
  78. Albeit – conceding the fact that; even though
  79. Meandering – to wander aimlessly or casually without urgent destination
  80. Devoured – to eat up greedily
  81. Frail – weak
  82. Vocation – a work in which a person is regularly employed; occupation
  83. Rekindling – easily combustible material to starting a fire
  84. Obscurity – shrouded in or hidden by darkness
  85. Flimsy – lacking in physical strength or substance
  86. Dilettante – amateur
  87. Banal – lacking originality
  88. Dreadful – great fear; extremely bad, distasteful, unpleasant, or shocking; extreme
  89. Annihilation – to cause to be of no effect; nullify, no consequence
  90. Perplex – puzzle
  91. Amber – hard yellowish or brownish translucent fossil that takes a fine polish and is used chiefly in making ornamental objects
  92. Resonate – to produce or exhibit echoing
  93. Reticence – inclined to be silent or uncommunicate in speech
  94. Seasick – affected with or suggestive with motion sickness experienced on the water
  95. Sensible – considerable; substantial
  96. Proviso – an article or clause that introduces a condition
  97. Insubstantial – lacking substance
  98. Cloaked – disguise
  99. Rite – prescribed form or manner governing words or actions of a ceremony
100. Fumbled – to grope for or handle something clumsily or aimlessly
101. Corrugated – having to form or shape into wrinkles or folds or into alternating ridges and grooves; furrow
102. Rummaged – to make a thorough search or investigation
103. Tangled – confused state or condition; snarl
104. Skein – something suggesting twists or coils
105. Wriggling – to move the body or a bodily part to and fro with a short writhing motion like a worm
106. Dislodged – to drive from a position of hiding, defense or advantage
107. Frill – a gathered, pleated or bias-cut fabric edging used on clothing
108. Valance – drapery hung along the edge of a bed, table, altar, canopy or shelf
109. Crags – steep rugged rock or cliff
110. Firs – any of a genus of north temperate evergreen trees of a pine family that have flattish leaves; circular leaf scars, and erect female cones and are valued for their wood
111. Pang – brief piercing spasm of pain
112. Tumult – disorderly agitation or milling about of a crowd usually with uproar and confusion of voices; commotion, riot
113. Duress – unlawful constraint
114. Pondered – to think or consider quietly, deeply
115. Tingled – to feel a ringing, stinging, prickling, or thrilling sensation
116. Gaze – a fixed intent look
117. Inexplicably – unquestionable
118. Torso – trunk
119. Flaccid – not firm or stiff
120. Esoteric – private, confidential
121. Paradox – self-contradictory statement that at first seems true
122. FĂªtes – festival
123. Tainted – touched
124. Amenable – answerable; willing; obedient, responsible, suited, capable of submission
125. Nagged – persistent source of annoyance; complain
126. Darted – to throw with a sudden movement
127. Draped – arrangement in or folds
128. Hovered – searched
129. Bewildered – puzzle
130. Ransacked – examine closely and carefully
131. Utter – pronounce, speak
132. Desolation – deserted, joyless, lifeless
133. Denouements – final outcome
134. Ambiguity – uncertainty
135. Creasing – line, mark or ridge made by or as if by folding a pliable substance: wrinkle
136. Flawed – an imperfection or weakness especially one that detracts from the whole
137. Nostalgic – homesickness
138. Counterpane – bedsheet
139. Novice – a person admitted in probationary membership in religious community: beginner
140. Scraped – to remove from a surface by usually repeated strokes of an edged instrument: discard
141. Haggis – a traditionally Scottish dish that consists of the heart, liver and lungs of a slip or a calf minced with suet, onions, oatmeal and seasonings boiled in the stomach of the animal.
142. Coriander – an Old World herb of the carrot family with aromatic fruits
143. Wry – twist, to pull out of or as if out of proper shape
144. Pinnacle – highest point of development or achievement
145. Lupine – wolfish cry
146. Rabble – broken fragments from decay or destruction
147. Taut – high-strung; tense
148. Spontaneous – arising from momentarily impulse
149. Gauzy – open thin weave fabric chiefly used for clothing or draperies
150. Bloated – being much larger than what is warranted, obnoxiously vain
151. Scrutiny – examination, surveillance
152. Smothered – to overcome or kill with smoke or fumes
153. Chaise lounges – long reclining chair
154. Upholstered – to furnish with materials (fabric, padding and springs) used to make a soft covering especially for a seat
155. Damask – a firm lustrous fabric made with flat patterns in a satin weave on a plain woven ground on jacquard looms(linen, cotton, silk or rayon)
156. Convoluted – having a form or shape that is folded in curved or tortuous windings; involved, intricate
157. Halt – to walk or proceed lamely: limp, end, stop, discontinue, terminate
158. Abashed – embarrass
159. Shrouded – shelter, protection, obscure
160. Levity – changeableness, excessive or unseemly frivolity
161. Solitary – living or going alone, desolation, unfrequented
162. Magisterial – having the characteristics of a master or a teacher; authoritative, dictatorial
163. Rigidity – firmness
164. Incongruous – incompatible, disagreeing
165. Tartly – marked by biting, acrimonious/cutting quality
166. Pecuniary – consisting of or measured in money
167. Quaint – marked by skillful design; expert; skilled
168. Palling – to lose strength, effectiveness, interest, attraction
169. Compromised – settlement of differences by arbitration or by consent reached by mutual concessions
170. Abide – to wait for; await
171. Chucked – toss, dismiss, pat, tap, discard, clucked
172. Affronted – to insult especially to the face by behavior or language
173. Averted – avoided
174. Truce – suspension of fighting especially of considerable duration by agreement of opposing forces
175. De rigueur – prescribed or required by fashion, etiquette or custom: proper
176. Veracity – truthfulness, accuracy
177. Posterity – future generations
178. Stilted – having the curve beginning above the impost; pompous; lofty; formal; stiff
179. Bereavement – loss of loved one by death
180. Vertigo – disordered state in which the individual or the individual’s surroundings seem to whirl dizzily
181. Vise – to hold, force or squeeze with or as if with a vise
182. Thud – to move or strike with a dull sound
183. Atonic – uttered without accent or stress
184. Portents – something that foreshadows a coming event; prodigy; marvel
185. Subplot – subordinate plot in fiction or drama
186. Atrophied – decrease in size or wasting away of a body part or tissue; arrested development or life of an animal or plant; progressive decline
187. Vicar – one serving as a substitute or agent
188. Papoose – young child of American Indian parents
189. Maim – to mutilate, disfigure or wound seriously
190. Inflict – to give by or as if by striking
191. Veritable – being in fact the thing named and not false, unreal or imaginary
192. Caprices – sudden, impulsive, and unseemingly unmotivated notion or action
193. Squalor – quality or state of being covered with scales or dirt
194. Enticement – to attract artfully or adroitly or by arousing hope or desire: tempt
195. Frocks – an outer garment worn by monks and friars: habit
196. Sweltering – oppressively hot
197. Feign – pretend, dissemble, disguise, fictitious
198. Jollity – festive gathering; merriment
199. Gasped – to catch the breath convulsively and audibly
200. Pallor – deficiency of color especially of the face, paleness
201. Canopy – to cover with cloth covering suspended over a bed
202. Lolled – relaxed posture
203. Adenoidal – exhibiting the characteristics (as snoring, mouth breathing and voice nasality) of one affected with abnormally enlarged adenoids
204. Vent – an opportunity or means of escape, passage or release, outlet
205. Eluded – escape understanding, to avoid adroitly
206. Raged – to be in tumult
207. Placatory – pacify
208. Agonizing – painful
209. Subtlety – quality or state of being delicate, elusive, obscure, perceptive, refined
210. Vexed – harassed
211. Farriers – persons who shoes horses
212. Gratified – give pleasure, reward, satisfy, indulge
213. Glint – to glance off an object
214. Afoot – in the process of development; underway
215. Clod – lump or mass especially of earth or clay
216. Aghast – struck with terror, amazement or horror
217. Auburn – of a reddish brown color
218. Poacher – one that trespasses or steals
219. Pilfered – stealed
220. Fey – doomed, touched, crazy, unconventional
221. Insouciance – nonchalance
222. Perturbed – to throw into confusion
223. Pristine – fresh and clean
224. Engulfed – to flow over and enclose; overwhelmed
225. Trepidation – fear; horror
226. Scalding – to burn or as if with hot liquid or steam
227. Sheer – a complete manner
228. Hawthorne – the stimulation to output or accomplishment that results from the mere fact of being under observation; such an increase in output or accomplishment
229. Privet – a European deciduous shrub of the olive family with semi-evergreen leaves and small white leaves, flowers that is widely used for hedges
230. Beech – any of a genus of hardwood trees with smooth gray bark and small edible nuts
231. Ivy – a widely cultivated ornamental climbing or prostrate or sometimes shrubby chiefly Eurasian vine of the ginseng family with evergreen leaves, small yellowish flowers, and black berries
232. Clematis – any of a genus of vines or herbs of the buttercup family having three leaflets on each leaf usually white, red, pink or purple flowers
233. Fathom – comprehensible
234. Shrubberies – planting or growth of shrubs
235. Thwart – transverse
236. Flailingly – to strike with or as if with a flail
237. Wieldingly – manage
238. Retaliated – to get revenge
239. Ravenously – to eat up greedily
240. Gammon – pretend, feign
241. Chided – scolded
242. Exhorted – to give warnings or advice
243. Amputees – one that has had a limb amputated
244. Succinctly – concisely
245. Bafflingly – to feat or check by confusing or puzzling
246. Bulgingly – being longer than what is warranted
247. Pruning – to cut off or cut back parts of for better shape or more fruitful growth
248. Desiccation – drying out
249. Agape – being in a state of wonder: love
250. Afield – away from home
251. Pantry – a room or closet used for storing or from which food is brought to the table
252. Disinclination – a preference for avoiding something; slight aversion
253. Chemise – woman’s one piece undergarment; a loose straight hanging dress
254. Pegged – identify; restrict
255. Besotted – to make dull or stupid
256. Brambles – any of a genus of usually prickly shrubs of the rose family including the raspberries and blackberries
257. Perambulator – a baby carriage
258. Crooning – to sing or speak in a gentle or murmuring manner
259. Surreptitious – silent
260. Indefatigable – incapable of being fatigue
261. Serene – calm; clear and free of storms or unpleasant change
262. Exhilarating – to make cheerful, enliven
263. Reverberating – reflect, repel, echo, resound
264. Sidle – to cause to move or turn sideways
265. Preamble – an introductory statement
266. Cessation – temporary or final ceasing; stop
267. Concurred – to act together to a common end or single effect
268. Amanuensis – one employed to write from dictation or to copy manuscript
269. Impertinent – irrelevant
270. Unflinching – not flinching or shrinking, uncompromising
271. Inadvertence – result of inattention
272. Anesthetic – lacking awareness or sensitiveness; palliative; producing anesthesia
273. Pace – to move along
274. Scurrying – to move around in an agitated, confused or fluttering manner
275. Panting – visible movement of chest accompanying such a breath; throbbing or puffing sound
276. Tonic – producing or adapted to produce healthy muscular condition and reaction of organs
277. Cognizant – knowledgeable of something especially through personal experience; mindful; aware
278. Filthy – dirty
279. Wonky – unsteady, shaky, awry, wrong
280. Fastidious – having meticulous, sensitive; demanding attitude; capricious standards
281. Faintly – to lose courage, spirit, strength
282. Slump – collapse, slouch
283. Reverie – the condition of being lost in thought
284. Engrossed – to take or engage the whole attention of
285. Girded – to encircle or bind with a small band; encircle
286. Assault – a violent physical or verbal attack
287. Relented – soften
288. Dilapidation – to bring into a condition of decay or partial ruin; squander
289. Notion – an individual’s conception or impression of something known, experienced or imagined
290. Stricken – afflicted or overwhelmed by a disease, misfortune, or sorrow
291. Throbbing – to pulsate or pound with abnormal force or rapidity
292. Haphazard – chance
293. Impotence – quality or state of being helpless
294. Winced – to turn aside
295. Brougham – light-closed horse-drawn carriage with the driver outside in front
296. Trotted – to drive, ride or proceed at a frot( a moderately fast gait of a quadruped in which the legs move in diagonal pairs).
297. Ruminated – reflected
298. Eavesdropped – to listen secretly to what is said in private
299. Impunity – exemption or freedom from punishment, harm or loss
300. Quills – one of the stiff feathers of a wing or tail
301. Nobility – the quality or state of being possessed outstanding qualities
302. Bustle – to move briskly; to be busily astir
303. Archive – a place in which public records or historical documents are preserved
304. Reckon – computation, calculation
305. Yew – any of a genus of evergreen trees and shrubs with stiff linear leaves and fruits
306. Thatch – plant material used as a sheltering cover especially of a house
307. Gables – the vertical triangular end of a building from cornice or eaves to ridge
308. Restrained – to prevent from doing, exhibiting or expressing something
309. Studded – to furnish with studs (one of the smaller uprights in the framing of the walls of a building to which sheathing, paneling, or laths are fastened).
310. Mackintoshes – lightweight waterproof fabric originally of rubberized cotton; raincoat
311. Jolted – a sudden feeling of shock, surprise or disappointment
312. Veiled – obscured, disguised
313. Writhing – to twist  into coils or folds
314. Inveterate – firmly established by long persistence; habitual
315. Clambered – to climb awkwardly
316. Latch – any of various devices in which mating mechanical parts engage to fasten but usually not to look something
317. Graveled – to cover or spread with gravel
318. Interspersed – to place something at intervals in or among
319. Flint – a massive hard quartz that produces a spark when struck by steel
320. Lych-gate – a roofed gate in a churchyard under which a bier rests during the initial part of a burial service
321. Spire – to rise in or as if a spiral
322. Vista – a distant view through or along an avenue or opening; prospect
323. Repress – to check by or as if by pressure
324. Facade – front of a building
325. Higgledy-piggledy – a confused, disordered or random manner
326. Disparate – containing or made up of fundamentally different and often incongruous elements
327. Jutting – to project beyond
328. Balustrade – row of balusters topped by a rail
329. Quarried – to dig or take or as if from a quarry
330. Tutters – small towers
331. Brooding – worry; state of depression
332. Menace – to make a show of intention to harm
333. Undulations – rising and falling of waves
334. Masonry – something constructed of materials used by masons
335. Encampment – a place where a group of persons is encamped
336. Buddleia – any of a genus of shrubs or trees of warm regions with showy terminal clusters of usually yellow or violet flowers
337. Craning – to raise a lift or as if by a crane
338. Draperies – decorative piece of material usually hang in loose folds and arranged in a graceful design
339. Squinted – cross-eyed
340. Timber – growing tress or their wood
341. Planks – a heavy thick board
342. Lurched – cheated
343. Scrabbled – repeated scratching
344. Empathy – imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
345. Girth – a band or strap that encircles the body of an animal to fasten something on its back
346. Squabbles – quarrels
347. Mirth – merry
348. Effigies – an image or representation especially of a person
349. Murky – characterized by dimness or obscurity caused by or like that caused by overhanging fog or smoke
350. Lurked – to lie in wait in a place of concealment especially for an evil purpose
351. Pleats – folds
352. Cashmere – fine wool from the undercoat of the goat
353. Brimful – ready to overflow
354. Vigil – watch formerly kept on the night before a religious feast with prayer or other devotions
355. Idling – power is not used for useful work
356. Stash – hiding place
357. Devoid – being without a usual, typical, or expected attribute or accompaniment
358. Fiddling – to move the hands or fingers restlessly
359. Jiggling – to give a rapid jerky motion
360. Countenance – calm expression
361. Lumpen – member of a crude or undedicated low class of society
362. Pudgy – short and plump, chubby
363. Squalid – dirty
364. Motes – small particle; speck
365. Alcove – a small recessed section of a room; nook
366. Haste – to move or act swiftly
367. Chaos – state of utter confusion
368. Scribbled – to write carelessly or hastily without regard to legibility or form
369. Vigor – active bodily or mental strength or force
370. Strolling – to walk in a leisurely or idle manner
371. Fatalistic – a doctrine that events are fixed in advance so that human beings are powerless to change them
372. Galvanized – to subject to the action of an electric current especially for the purpose of stimulating psychologically
373. Poplin – a strong fabric in plain weave with crosswise ribs
374. Trances – state of partly suspended animation or inability to function
375. Sly – wise in practical affairs
376. Plundered – to take the goods by force
377. Unscrupulous – unprincipled
378. Realm – kingdom, sphere, domain
379. Lucid – intelligible, luminous, translucent
380.  Abomination – extreme disgust and hatred
381. Cleaves – to adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly
382. Limbo – place or state of being oblivion
383. Condescension – voluntary descent from one’s rank or dignity in relations with an inferior
384. Obelisk – an upright four sided usually monolithic pillar that gradually tapers as it rises and terminates in a pyramid
385. Dodecahedron – solid having twelve plane faces
386.  Cunning – dexterous or crafty in skill in the use of special resources or attaining an end
387. Wily – crafty; sly
388. Splayed – to cause to spread outward
389. Regime – regular pattern of occurrence or action
390. Detrimental – damaging, pernicious
391. Squelch – emit a sucking sound; silence
392. Atonal – marked by avoidance of traditional musical tonality
393. Blundered – to move unsteadily or confusedly
394. Frenzy – violent mental or emotional agitation
395. Stumped – challenge, baffle
396. Prodded – to thrust a pointed instrument into
397. Eloquence – discourse marked by force
398. Articulate – jointed, intelligible
399. Indolent – causing little or no pain
400. Rhetorical – art of speaking or writing effectively
401. Copious – yielding something abundantly
402. Cogent – convincing, relevant
403. Agitated – to move with an irregular, rapid or violent motion
404. Preposterous – obvious
405. Culmination – to rise to or form a summit
406. Shunted – shift, shuffle
407. Aired – become exposed to air
408. Distraught – insane
409. Shuddered – quivered, shivered
410. Terrain – geographical area, ground
411. Apricot – moderate orange
412. Conjure – to charge or entreat earnestly or solemnly
413. ProtĂ©gĂ©e – female who is protected or trained or whose career is furthered by a person of experience, prominence or influence
414. Catatonic – characterized by a marked lack of movement, activity or expression
415. Undeterred – does not have the inhibition of criminal behavior by fear of punishment
416. Bauble – trinket, trifle or fool’s scepter
417. Torpor – state of mental, and motor inactivity with partial or insensibility, apathy, dullness
418. Vehemently – deeply felt, forcibly expressed, powerful, impassioned fervid
419. Genealogical – an account of the descent of a person, family or group from ancestor or elder forms
420. Edifice – building
421. Tacit – expressed or carried on without words or speech
422. Convalescent – to recover health and strength gradually after sickness or weakness
423. Discreetly – unnoticeable, unpretentious modest, prudent
424. Woeful – bringing a condition of deep suffering from misfortune, affliction or grief
425. Fugue – a musical composition in which one or two themes are repeated or imitated by successively entering voices and contrapuntally developed in a continuous interweaving of voice parts
426. Reassert – to re demonstrate the existence of often forcefully or aggressively
427. Cellar – lowest grade or rank; basement
428. Baize – a coarse woolen or cotton fabric napped to imitate felt
429. Euphemism – substitution of an agreeable or inoffensive expression for one that may offend or suggest something unpleasant
430. Congealed – to change from fluid to solid
431. Crockery – earthenware
432. Toted – to carry by hand
433. Battering – to beat by successive blows
434. Billowed – great wave or surge of water
435. Queue – waiting line
436. Gruesome – inspiring horror or repulsion
437. Darning needle – a long needle with a large eye for use in darning
438. Swill – wash, drench
439. Effluence – something that flows out
440. Recluse – person who leads a solitary life
441. Eccentric – strange
442. Hermit – recluse
443. Undermined – inadequately staffed
444. Asylum – an institution for the care of the destitute or sick especially of the insane
445. Dotes – to be lavish or excessive in one’ attention, fondness or affection
446. Envisaged – to think about
447. Grouse – complain, grumble
448. Pheasant – any of numerous large often long tailed and brightly colored Old World gallinaceous birds including many raised as ornamental or game birds
449. Sniveling – to cry or whine with sniffling
450. Deceit – act or practice of deceiving; trick
451. Subterfuge – deception  by artifice or stratagem in order to conceal, escape or evade
452. Oppressive – overwhelming or depressing the spirit or senses
453. Semaphore – an apparatus for visual signaling
454. Plangent – having a loud reverberating sound
455. Fervor – passion
456. Incantation – use of spells or verbal charms
457. Sieved – sift
458. Satchel – small bag often with a shoulder strap
459. Kneading – to work and press into a mass or as if with hands
460. Exasperating – to cause irritation, anger or annoyance
461. Stow – to put away
462. Demarcated – delimit, to separate
463. Sou’wester – a waterproof hat with wide slanting brim longer in back than in front
464. Evanescent – tending to vanish like a rapor, transient
465. Ajangle – noisy quarreling
466. Jagged – having a sharply uneven edge or surface
467. Surge – to rise and fall actively; toss
468. Lingered – to be slow in parting or in quitting something; tarry
469. Intent – concentrated
470. Slunk – to go or move stealthily or furtively; steal
471. Hellebore – any of a genus of poisonous herbs of the buttercup family having showy flowers with petaloid sepals
472. Hazel – any of a genus of shrubs or small trees of the birch family bearing nuts enclosed in a leafy involucres.
473. Reeled – to turn and move round and round
474. Swiveled – swivel or turn on or as if on a swivel
475. Turmoil – a state or condition of extreme confusion, agitation or commotion
476. Enamored – to inflame with love
477. Tang – sharp distinctive often lingering flavor
478. Sibilants – having, containing or producing the sound of or a sound resembling that of a s or the sh
479. Fricatives – a consonant characterized by frictional passage of the expired breath through a narrowing at some point in the vocal tract
480. Plosives – stop; short for explosive
481. Trills – alternation of two musical tones adiatonic second apart – called also shake
482. Travestied – to make a caricature
483. Assail – to attack by violent blows or attacks
484. Squiggles – to write or paint hastily
485. Sequestered – to set apart
486. Moribund – being in a state of dying
487. Pester – overcrowd; to harass with petty irritations
488. Begrudge – to look upon with disapproval
489. Hoarded – to supply or fund stored up and often hidden away
490. Listless – characterized by lack of interest, energy or spirit
491. Kink – short twist or curl caused by doubling or winding upon of something upon itself
492. Placid – serenely free of interruption or disturbance
493. Shard – small piece or part
494. Stubbed – to grub up by the roots
495. Enticements – to attract artfully or adroitly or by arousing hope or desire
496. Thicket – dense growth of shrubbery or small trees; coppice
497. Gnarled – full of knots or gnarls
498. Bereft – deprived or robbed of the possession or use of something
499. Dregs – the sediment contained in a liquid or precipitated from it
500. Sissy – timid or cowardly person
501. Quandary – state of perplexity or doubt
502. Veered – change in course or direction
503. Mundane – commonplace
504. Unequivocal – unambiguous, unquestionable
505. Ardor – passion
506. Exonerate – to relieve of a response
507. Macula – an anatomical structure having the form of a spot differentiated from surrounding tissues
508. Fraught – loaded, fraughted
509. Chronometry – measure of time
510. Dwindled – make steadily less, shrink
511. Abdicate – discard
512. Frenetically – frenzied, frantic
513. Gritty – courageously persistent; tough qualities of uncompromising realm
514. Idle – lazy
515. Mulched – a protective covering spread or left on the ground to reduce evaporation, maintain even soil temperature, prevent erosion, control weeds, or kept fruit clean
516. Dingy – dirty, shabby, discolored
517. Languorous – produce state of depression
518. Shorn – past tense of shear
519. Grizzled – grayish
520. Unfathomable – incomprehensible
521. Tolling – lead or attract to a desired point
522. Havoc – destroy
523. Foliage – representation of leaves, flowers and branches of architectural ornamentation
524. Genteel – polite
525. Embittered – to put some bitter
526. Divested – dispossess of property, authority
527. Splutter – to make a noise as if spitting
528. Chatter – to utter rapid short sounds suggestive of language but inarticulate and indistinct
529. Disgorged – to discharge by throat and mouth
530. Thaw – to go from frozen to liquid
531. Ferocity – state of being extremely intense
532. Exertion – a laborious or perceptible effort
533. Attuned – to bring into harmony
534. Soporific – causing or tending to go to sleep
535. Euphoric – a feeling of well-being or elation
536. Anguish – suffering extreme pain, distress or anxiety
537. Vied – to strive for superiority, compete
538. Whimper – to make a long whining plaintive or broken sound
539. Repel – to drive back, to force away or tend to do so by mutual action at a distance
540. Feeble – markedly lacking in strength
541. Monolith – a single great stone often in the form of an obelisk or column
542. Ascent – progress, climb upward
543. Ascribed – to refer to a supposed cause, source or author
544. “L’ appĂ©tit vient en mangeant” – Appetite comes by eating
545. Tampered – carry on underhand or improper negotiations
546. Vagabond – to wander in a manner of moving from place to place with a fixed home
547. Horticultural – science and art of growing fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants
548. Candid – white
549. Inaudibility – not capable of hearing
550. Susurration – whispering sound; murmur
551. Elusive – not able to define
552. Bestowed – applied
553. Innocuous – harmless
554. Rapture – being carried away by overwhelming emotion
555. Blissful – being in a state of happiness
556. Tide – opportunity; current
557. Imperturbable – serene, cool
558. Imminent – to project, threaten
559. Submersion – submerge
560. Untrammeled – not restraint
561. Anecdotes – short narrative of an interesting, amusing or biographical incident
562. Instill – to cause to enter drop by drop
563. Disconcert – embarrass
564. Tatters – to become ragged
565. Muster – to cause to gather
566. Ally – one that is associated with another as a helper; auxiliary
567. Bribery – act or practice of or taking a bribe
568. Coaxing – to influence or gently urge by caressing or flattering; wheedle
569. Gouged – to scoop out with or as if with a gorge
570. Scarred – to mark with a scar
571. Conspirators – one that conspires; plotter
572. Drollery – something that is droll – a comic picture or drawing
573. Truant – one who stays out of school without permission
574. Hubbub – noise
575. Parterres – an ornamental garden with paths between the beds
576. Ingrained – forming a part of the essence or inmost being
577. Solace – alleviation of grief or anxiety
578. Skeptics – persons disposed to skepticism especially regarding religion or religious principles
579. Infinitesimal – immeasurably or incalculably small
580. Theft – act of stealing
581. Fruition – realization or enjoyment
582. Beset – trouble
583. Perverts – to cause to turn aside or away from what is good or true or morally right; corrupt
584. Aggravating – arousing displeasure, impatience or anger
585. Eureka – used to express triumph on a discovery
586. Conjecture – conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork
587. Absurd – state or condition in which human beings exist in an irrational and meaningless universe in which human life has no ultimate meaning
588. Bedazzlement – dazzle, enchant
589. Crone – withered old woman
590. Desecrated – to violate the sanctity of; profane
591. Nook – secluded or sheltered place or part
592. Cranny – small break or slit; crevice
593. Peripheral – outer part of the clear vision
594. Incorporeal – having no material body or form
595. Ethereal – heavenly, celestial
596. Knack – clever way of doing something
597. Rampage – to rush wildly about
598. Agitations – meditations
599. Gruffly – rough, brusque, or stern in manner, speech or aspect
600. Tenterhooks – state of uneasiness, strain or suspense
601. Impetuously – marked by force and violence of action
602. Irrevocable – not possible to revoke; unalterable
603. Implacable – not capable of being appeased, changed, or mitigated
604. Nacreous – mother of pearl
605. Translucence – quality or state of being clear and transparent
606. Turbulence – quality or state of being characterized by agitation or tumult
607. Grit – coarsely ground hulled grain
608. Advent – the period beginning four Sundays before Christmas and observed by some Christians as a season of prayer and fasting
609. Phantasmagoria – an exhibition or display of optical effects and illusions
610. Floppy – soft and flexible
611. Upturned – upward turn; turn up or over especially toward better conditions
612. Tweezers – any of various small metal instruments that are usually held between the thumb and forefinger, are used for plucking, holding or manipulating, and consist of two legs joined at one end
613. Castor oil – pale viscous fatty oil from castor beans used especially as a lubricant and plasticizer
614. Flannels – a soft twilled wool or worsted fabric with a loose texture and slightly napped surface
615. Anteroom – an outer room that leads to another room and that is often used as a waiting room
616. Scrupulously – punctitiously exact
617. Squawked – to utter a harsh abrupt scream
618. Strangled – to choke to death by compressing the throat with something
619. Gait – manner of walking or going on foot
620. Carapace – protective, decorative or disguising shell
621. Usurped – to take or make use without right
622. Animus – basic attitude, governing spirit, malevolent ill will, prejudiced and often spiteful ill will
623. Rigmarole – confused or meaningless talk
624. Colicky – suffering from colic
625. Grunts – deep short sound characteristic of a hog
626. Scuttle – short swift run
627. Hearth – a brick, stone, or cement area in front of a fireplace
628. Pyre – combustible heap for burning a dead body as a funeral rite
629. Bolster – long pillow or cushion
630. Flotsam – floating wreckage of a ship or its cargo; floating debris
631. Mewl – to cry weakly
632. Ablaze – radiant with light
633. Inferno – intense heat
634. Docile – easily taught; easily led
635. Chars – a charred substance; charcoal
636. Smoldering – to burn sluggishly, without flame and often with much smoke
637. Scorched – to burn a surface or so as to change the color and texture
638. Slate-black – nearly neutral purplish black
639. Plume – contour feather
640. Eerie – mysterious, scared, fright, weird
641. Rummy – drunkard, queer, odd
642. Melancholy – depression of spirits
643. Untainted – untouched
644. Delineaments – painted lines
645. Melded – blended
646. Delved – to make a careful or detailed search for information
647. Casket – small chest or box
648. Morsel – small piece of food; bites
649. Urn – a vessel that is typically an ornamental vase on a pedestal and that is used for various purposes
650. Niche – habitat supplying the factors necessary for the existence of an organism or species
651. Agog – full of interest or excitement
652. Posthumous – published after the death of the author
653. Swathes – an enveloping medium
654. Vantage – benefit, gain, advantage
655. Denuded – lay bare by erosion
656. Equanimity – evenness of mind under stress
657. Moors – an expanse of open rolling infertile land
658. Composure – a calmness or repose especially of mind, bearing, or appearance; self possession
659. Dilemma – an argument of two or more equally conclusive alternatives against an opponent
660. Entwined – to become twisted or twined
661. Recalibrating – repeating the standardization by determining the deviation from a standard so as to ascertain the proper correction factors






No comments:

Post a Comment